How do you help your math students retain concepts?
How do they remember the meanings of certain terms?
How do you help them prepare for those standardized tests?
Spiral review helps with all of these. I've been using spiral review for a long time, but never wrote about it before - so here we go:-)
How does spiral review on a daily basis help students?
I've been using daily math with spiral review since 2013. I created my own daily math at that time, because I couldn't find a resource that really helped my students. With this spiral review, I found these benefits:
Ideas for How to Use Daily Math
1) Cut each page into the separate days for students to work on as their bell ringer or warm up.
2) Have students keep the daily math pages in a binder so they always have them available (my favorite).
3) Display the pages for students to see as they enter the class. They can complete the problems in their notebooks.
4) Use the pages as homework.
5) Have a weekly/monthly/quarterly quiz, allowing students to use their daily math pages as a resource - I love doing this because it helps students to make sure they don't lose their pages!
How can you use the Grade 6 Math Assessment with the Daily Math? (I created a Grade 6 Math Assessment, that you can download for free, along with 2 free weeks of daily math when you sign up for my email/newsletters.)
The Grade 6 CC standards are on the assessment answer key, so you can reference which questions address which standards. The Daily Math also has an index of the CC standards, along with the days they are covered in the 180 days.
Using these together can help you individualize instruction for students, especially those who may be advanced or may need more review/reinforcement.
How will 180 Days of Spiral Review help you and your students?
If you decide to give the Daily Math a try, you can expect:
I hope you'll give spiral review a try, if you aren't already using it, even if it isn't with my Daily Math. Your students will absolutely benefit!
If you have any questions, please feel free to add them here or email me!
If you already use spiral review, what other benefits do you see?
To Read Next: