How do you help your math students retain concepts?
How do they remember the meanings of certain terms?
How do you help them prepare for those standardized tests?
Spiral review helps with all of these. I've been using spiral review in 6th grade math for a long time, but never wrote about it before - so here we go:-)
How does spiral math review on a daily basis help students?
I've been using daily math with a spiral review since 2013 (and now I've added a digital version!) I created my own daily math at that time, because I couldn't find a resource that really helped my students. With this spiral review, I found these benefits:
Ideas for How to Use Daily Math
1) Cut each page into the separate days for students to work on as their bell ringer or warm up (or assign each day to students in Google Slides).
2) Have students keep the daily math pages in a binder so they always have them available (my favorite).
3) Display the pages for students to see as they enter the class. They can complete the problems in their math notebooks.
4) Use the pages as math homework and have students discuss as the warm up.
5) Have a weekly/monthly/quarterly math quiz, allowing students to use their daily math pages as a resource - I love doing this because it helps students to make sure they don't lose their pages!
How can you use the Grade 6 Math Assessment with the Daily Math?
(I created a Grade 6 Math Assessment, that you can download for free, along with 2 free weeks of daily math.)
The Grade 6 Common Core math standards are on the assessment answer key, so you can reference which questions address which standards. The Daily Math also has an index of the Common Core math standards, along with the days they are covered in the 180 days.
Using these together can help you individualize instruction for your math students, especially those who may be advanced or may need more math review/reinforcement.
How will 180 Days of Spiral Review help you and your math students?
If you decide to give the Daily Math a try, you can expect:
I hope you'll give spiral review a try, if you aren't already using it, even if it isn't with my Daily Math. Your students will absolutely benefit!
If you have any questions, please feel free to add them here or email me!
If you already use spiral review, what other benefits do you see?
To Read Next:
Hey there! I'm Ellie - here to share math fun, best practices, and engaging, challenging, easy-prep activities ideas!