For Upper Elementary and Middle School Classrooms
Have you been here?
You’ve only got a week or so before the winter break begins….and schedule changes mean you’ll miss a couple classes during that time. You’ve finished the current topic, and there’s not enough time to fit in another unit. You know that sometimes kids have trouble staying on-task at this time of year, as they are looking forward to break!
But you don’t want to waste class time ....
So what do you work on? What are some fun, but academic things you can do during math class to help the students keep practicing and learning? I've got a few quick ideas for you:
1) Try this free winter word creation activity, which combines math and language arts. Students find other words within "Winter Holidays" and then find the value of each word, using the assigned letter values. Just click the image to download.
2) Logic puzzles are always fun - this one is a new winter-themed logic puzzle. Students need to figure out people's favorite winter activity and food/drink.
3) Find the price of all the items in the 12 Days of Christmas!
4) Holiday or winter-themed color by numbers.
The CBN pictured here focuses on division, but I have several color by number activities in my store that have a holiday/winter/new year theme, some focusing on specific topics and some that are mixed review.
5) Footloose with mixed review. This one is intended for grades 4-6 and includes:
* problem solving
* two-digit multiplication
* decimal multiplication and division
* division with single and two-digit divisors
* addition and subtraction of large numbers and money
* one elapsed time question
* conversion of fraction to time question
* one comparing fractions question
Enjoy your holiday season!
Hey there! I'm Ellie - here to share math fun, best practices, and engaging, challenging, easy-prep activities ideas!